Vicodin pill is a useful drug for the treatment of chronic and severe physical pain. It is a lifesaving remedy for those experiencing severe pain due to an injury, C section, or cancer. Like other pain killers, Vicodin is also an opioid analgesic that works similar to Tramadol. However, the doses, strength, and availability are different than other opioid medicines.
Highlights for Vicodin pill
- Vicodin is available in oral tablets, unlike other medications that are also available as capsules.
- The drug is highly beneficial for treating severe and chronic pain.
- It is available in both variations, such as generic and brand name drugs.
- It contains a mixture of Hydrocodone/acetaminophen.
How does Vicodin work for pain relief
Vicodin belongs to the drugs known as opioid analgesics (narcotics). It works by altering how your mind responds and feels to physical pain. The drug is enriched with Endorphins that bind to the receptors in the brain. It then reduces the feeling of pain by blocking a few natural chemicals inside your mind.
The effects of Vicodin last for six to eight hours, depending on the dosage you take. It also depends on your medical condition and how you are using this drug. For more information, seek medical consultation with your prescribing doctor.
Possible side effects of Vicodin usage
Some side effects are common when you are taking this medicine for the first time. Most of the patients do not face any side effects while following medication guidelines carefully. However, properly follow your doctor’s instructions during the treatment.
Some of the possible side effects of Vicodin may include:
dizziness, fatigue, irritability, fever, impaired vision, stomach cramps, vomiting, drowsiness, or shaking. Discuss the possibility of harmful effects with your prescribing doctor.
Drug interactions with Vicodin
Drug interactions may affect the way Vicodin works for treating pain. Also, Vicodin may affect the working of some other remedies. Thus, inform your doctor if you are using other medicines, including recreational, street, or illegal drugs. Besides, herbal products and O.T.C. (over-the-counter) can also interact with this medicine.
Some medicines known to interact with Vicodin include:
- Heart medications, including digoxin (Lanoxin)
- Drug for treating bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, including lithium (Lithobid)
- Medicines for seizures, such as carbamazepine
- Other pain medications, such as oxycodone (Roxicodone)
- Blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin)
Vicodin may also interact with liquor, alcohol, and other alcoholic substances. Avoid any product that makes you dizzy while using this drug. Besides, limit the usage of Vitamin C and orange juice. Ask your doctor for more information on drug interactions.